The working of this stitch is on Pintangle.
This is also a simple stitch with lots of possibilities. In this piece I did not do much of experiments. An element of a traditional Indian design was chosen to work this stitch.

36.130.double lock stitch1

36.130.double lock stitch1

An outline with whipped and laced buttonhole stitch was also tried on this piece. It was started with buttonhole and straight stitches.

36.130dlockst-1

36.130dlockst-1

Straight lines were stitched to work the double lock stitch.

36.130.dlockst-2

36.130.dlockst-2

The side motif with two versions of double lock stitch worked in variegated perle cotton # 5.

36.130.dlockst-3

36.130.dlockst-3

Double lock stitch and some textured stitches inside the paisley.

36.130.dlockst-4

36.130.dlockst-4

Trials of alternating whipping and lacing. The first one on the left was chosen to work this piece.

36.130.sample outline

36.130.sample outline

The final result.

36.130.double lock stitch2

36.130.double lock stitch2

This pattern was not ideal to work variations of double lock stitch. But working on this, helped in experimenting a new way to work this buttonhole stitch outline. The lock stitch was instrumental in bringing out this idea, I suppose.

This week’s stitch was worked in two colours. I am maintaining this red and blue colour scheme. The graph for these edges are here.

77,78

77,78

I am a day late in posting the work in progress. To see others progress visit Pintangle.
I joined studio journal group on flickr. The hussif was not taken out this week at all.
Most of this week was spent on working the lock stitch sample for TAST.
Indian ethnic embroidery design was drawn on a cream fabric for tunic, the size is fairly big with six colours and mirrors. The work on this piece could take a while. I am also pondering over some more ideas for other tunics with the help of the journal. The 15th and 16th edges were completed on RPW challenge.

RPW-15,16

RPW-15,16

The method of working this stitch is on SharonB ‘s Pintangle. It looked pretty easy, when looking at the samples. So I decided to work this stitch on leaves and flowers. Rope stitch was used for the stem.

35.129.lock st-1

35.129.lock st-1

After working the design with lock stitches, other stitches were also added – detached chains, pistil, french knots, herringbone, buttonhole, coral stitches-

35.129.lock st-2

35.129.lock st-2

Other stitches here are- feather stitch, quarter buttonhole, french knots, fly, oyster, scroll, linked chain

35.129.lock st-3

35.129.lock st-3

The other stitches- chain stitch, running stitch, arrow head stitches.

35.129lockst-4

35.129lockst-4

Two flowers also got detached chain and pistil stitches worked around them. Perle cotton# 8 was used with some fine silk thread. I controlled the urge to work this stitch as a band sampler and worked this piece. I need to practice this stitch more to gain more control.

35.129.lock stitch sampler

35.129.lock stitch sampler

The graph pattern for these edges are on this blog.

75,76

75,76

This week there were not much of working back and forth, cutting and rejoin , easy edges. Started this week’s lock stitch on TAST challenge on a floral pattern.

To understand how the posting this work in progress is helpful, visit Pintangle. I completed last week’s TAST stitch.
The hussif was taken out and kept back, when a mistake was found on the black work filling. It’ll be hard enough to pull out the waste canvas, so the option to rectify the mistake is out, just have to think of something to work over the flaw.
The black yoke was completed with phukari embroidery.

19.wipwednesdays-whgreytunic3

19.wipwednesdays-whgreytunic3

The earlier worked edges were completed on Randje per week challenge.

19.wipwednesdays-rpw 13,14

19.wipwednesdays-rpw 13,14

The yellow tunic with chanderi silk cotton sleeves in its full glory.

19.wipwednesdays-yctunic

19.wipwednesdays-yctunic

Gujarati ethnic embroidery  was drawn for a  cream tunic with  multi coloured striped salwar fabric. The tailor has to mark the place for front and sleeves. The routine of working on the journal was maintained this week.

Other TAST stitches were worked on this design. Detached chain petals.

34.128.inup&down bholest-5

34.128.inup&down bholest-5

Stitch details from left to right-
Pink-Alternated up and down buttonhole, buttonhole stitch, herringbone stitch.
Blue-vandyke stitch
Green- long tailed detached chains and french knots.
Blue- linked chain
Pink- laced buttonhole stitch, french knots, cretan stitch
Blue- stem stitch
Green- arrowhead stitch ,pistil, running stitch

34.128.inup&downbholest-6

34.128.inup&downbholest-6

Blue- coral stitch
Pink –detached chains
Blue- rope stitch
Green- french knots, whipped and laced with light green thread
Blue- closed feather stitch
The paisley is outlined with whipped back stitch in two colours.

34.128.inup&downbholest-7

34.128.inup&downbholest-7

Pink- cross stitches
Blue- fly stitch row
Green- wheat ear and Italian border
Blue- Portuguese stem stitch
Pink- herringbone stitch and berry stitches
Blue- single feather stitch

34.128.inup&downbholest-8

34.128.inup&downbholest-8

This whole piece-

34.128.interlaced up& down buttonhole stitch

34.128.interlaced up& down buttonhole stitch

I am still in the learning process of designing to work these TAST stitches. It is tough and interesting. Sometimes the satisfaction is there, but other times not so much. But the idea of developing each every aspect of the design with stitches lifts me up.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 133 other followers