kutch work


The works of this week were around tunics. Though the chain stitches on plum cotton tunic are monotonous, still it is interesting to see the growth on these simple border patterns.
WIPW230-pltch-6
A kutchwork pattern with chain stitch and mirror elements was drawn and traced onto the grey striped tunic after the tailor marked the neck. He doesn’t design the neck, just the dimensions are marked and the front piece is cut by him. This gives me room to design the neck, yoke etc. by cutting the tunic to size, I don’t have to hold the whole fabric while doing embroidery. Started the work with kutchwork elements in bright[ it does not look so bright in the image though!] orange thread.
WIPW230-grortku-2
In April I had bought a few tunic fabrics on cotton, they are not handloom. A light weight cotton, easy to maintain and cool to wear on hot days, they were used as blouse fabrics for sarees. The navy tunic with Kashmiri work came from this set.
WIPW222-ncotka-8
My friend liked this grey [we call it elephant grey colour] and she wanted chikan work done on it. A motif design which will be repeated was drawn yesterday. The front of the tunic will be filled with this motif. The plan is to draw the whole design on graph paper and then trace it on to the fabric.
WIPW230-gycottchi-1

Advertisements

This tunic was worked in 2012.
This cotton tunic is handloom cotton in golden yellow. The Indian pant is cream and yellow with a wavy pattern.
cre&yelkut-fab
the pattern was inspired by a tunic seen in a boutique.
cre&yelkut-pat
Starting with kutchwork border in the centre , the other linear stitches are chain in different colours, closed herringbone stitch, zigzag back stitch, fly stitch and its variation, and the last chain stitch boxes are for the mirrors to be worked inside. The detail-
cre&yelkut-d1
After working the small square mirrors.
cre&yelkut-2
The detail after working the mirrors.
cre&yelkut-d3
The sewn tunic.
DSC00141

The tunic was designed and worked in 2012. The fabric was block printed soft cotton named mul mul. The work was ethnic Gujarati embroidery. The motif design was repeated on the sleeves and on both sides of the shoulders-front and back.
crebrot-pat
Worked motif with the borders
crebrot-e
The sleeves were attached with red and brown pieces of fabrics, these were also embellished with embroidery and wooden beads.
crebrot-s
The tunic-
cream brown tunic

This week went with the works on tunics.
I am still in the mode of changing the colours of the kutchwork black yoke. The blue colour was changed to yellow. This project was restarted with changing the blue colour, somehow green preceded it. I have started with changing the blue on the other side today.
WIPW220-blaykk-4
After filling with blue thread on this gold neckline, I started working isolated fly stitch variation with green novelty thread.
WIPW220-bpcretfse-5
Some more stems were worked with chain stitch on this navy tunic.
WIPW220-ncotka-6
Now that I am getting more friendly with my computer, I would like to post the details of the finished projects of this year.

New monitor was set up on Monday. Images copied from hard disk yesterday. Today I am organisng the folders.
Now for the works in progress in embroidery.
The old kutchwork yoke looked like this before I started removing the beads, sequins and changing the colour.
WIPW219-blaykk-3
It looks like this now, the next step is to replace blue with yellow.
WIPW219-blaykk-2
The front of the neutral tussar silk tunic is being worked now with zardosi beads, pearl beads and sequins.
WIPW219-neutusstz-6
The leaves and stems were worked on the panels of the cream silk cotton fabric for this cream chiffon tunic. Now the progress is on the flowers.
WIPW219-creabluts-5
The neckline embroidery for the printed blue crepe tunic is quite slow, still started with the dark blue thread.
WIPW219-bpcretfse-4
This past week was quite progressive, did some catching up with old UFO’s

I am still working on tunic projects.
The black ikat tunic was attached with the mirror work border. The border was sewn slightly away from the neck, and looks like the embroidered piece was not showing well on this black ikat fabric.
WIPW200-blaikmirt-5
I asked the tailor to take the piece away and attach it to another short top made of two fabrics. This time the piece was part of neck. May need some more embroidery, still thinking about it. These days, my tailor is sewing fancy necks for the back also!
WIPW200-blaikmirt-6
The kutchwork on this black tunic with printed border was completed. Now mirrors- to go with the markings or work the mirrors as a part of the motif?
WIPW200-blacrekutt-3
Once these projects are over, two fabrics are ready to be designed. One is a saree blouse, another one is a chiffon fabric for tunic.

This week was a good week for stitching in spite of viral infection. I am on the mend now, started the medicines at the right time.
I am working on the mirrors and the silver beads together on this black border. The progress is more, but the picture taken of it is not so good.
WIPW197-blaikmirt-3
This is another project, plain black tunic, the motif border will be attached to the tunic and the cream block printed fabric is the salwar. It is with the tailor now. I might do a small kutchwork on it.
WIPW197-blacrekutt-1
I am also designing a cross stitch pattern incorporating a letter with a celtic background. The celtic motif is a free pattern from inkcircles. This is a birthday gift. So the progress pictures may not be posted till it is gifted.

Next Page »