ethnic design


I could complete the green gold silk fabric for my friend this week. After that I was alternatively working with  these two  projects in progress.
 Green boat neck tunic.

The diamond  shaped mirrors are being stitched on this green boat neck top. I am working 2 or 3 mirrors at a time every day.
WIPW242-greeboatt-7
 Black and gold tunic.

The leaves and tendrils are worked in stem stitch with 3 strands. The stems are worked in 4 strands. At this point, I am thinking it is taking more time than expected. The design offers scope for more details. But if I work on them, this project might take time which is not practical. Keeping it simple and just be within the plan will be the best option. I took an aspect of a big paisley design and modified and  drew the size I wanted  from this book, I have.
WIPW242-blagolt-3
Though all designs are interesting, I tend to favour traditional Indian designs. Before being exposed to this embroidery world through the web, I grew up seeing these designs around. Hand embroidery takes time, to work on each and every idea may not be possible. But some of them are very inspiring, calming the mind and gives contentment too.

It was New Year day, after deciding to go with the projects in progress, by afternoon, an idea to start a new tunic project came to mind.
The tailor had marked a black silk tunic for embroidery 2 days before 2020 started.
blagolt-1
The gold fabric with black  border lines is a long stole [duppatta] for this black tunic. Earlier, I had drawn and prepared a single paisley design for this. After I  traced the pattern onto the fabric, my friend came with a sewn tunic, which she got from the tailor that day. He had sewn it well, she wanted to incorporate a small  motif all over the front of the tunic, which she had seen somewhere, but couldn’t get hold of it again .I tried some stitching on the inside neck with sample threads to give reality to her idea.
greegolt[c]-1
I started marking the placements of the motif and drew an upright cross[2 cm] on them that night. Next day I worked 2 motifs, and searched my stash also for similar options.
greegolt[c]-2
Her idea when she said I couldn’t interpret in embroidery, after deliberating for some time changing the metallic threads, we could arrive at something common. This is the motif she is happy with.It is worked brown metallic thread, silver metallic thread and same green silk thread.
greegolt[c]-3
Total number of motifs -31. I am still working on them. I completing each and moving onto another. This might be completed by next week.

This past week was a good one progress wise. I could even manage to work on a stitch on SSS challenge. I am working on the last colour -beige on this plum cotton tunic, hoping to complete it by tomorrow.
WIPW231-pltch-7
The kutchwork elements on the grey striped tunic were worked with the same bright orange thread. This is definitely a change from chain stitches!
WIPW231-grortku-3
Grey cotton tunic with chikan embroidery
The full design with motif repeats was drawn on graph paper. My friend wanted one colour-cream to be used for the shadow work. The complete design was traced onto the reverse side of the grey cotton tunic with white craft pencil. I was very eager to see the outcome of this embroidery, so enthusiastically completed one motif.
WIPW231-gycottchi-2
This motivated me to work on a stitch on SSS challenge too.

 

I could complete one project during this week. Chain stitch was worked around the outline with blue silk thread on this neckline embroidery. With this the piece is ready to go to the tailor.
WIPW228-bpcretfse-11
Cluster of three small pearl beads are being added to the feather stitches this week on this blue tussar tunic. This is still in progress.
WIPW228-bltut-2
The work continues on the other side of this plum cotton tunic.
WIPW228-pltch-4
It is hard set these aside and start working on challenges. May be possible next week. Happy with one finish.

This tunic was worked in 2012.
This cotton tunic is handloom cotton in golden yellow. The Indian pant is cream and yellow with a wavy pattern.
cre&yelkut-fab
the pattern was inspired by a tunic seen in a boutique.
cre&yelkut-pat
Starting with kutchwork border in the centre , the other linear stitches are chain in different colours, closed herringbone stitch, zigzag back stitch, fly stitch and its variation, and the last chain stitch boxes are for the mirrors to be worked inside. The detail-
cre&yelkut-d1
After working the small square mirrors.
cre&yelkut-2
The detail after working the mirrors.
cre&yelkut-d3
The sewn tunic.
DSC00141

The tunic was designed and worked in 2012. The fabric was block printed soft cotton named mul mul. The work was ethnic Gujarati embroidery. The motif design was repeated on the sleeves and on both sides of the shoulders-front and back.
crebrot-pat
Worked motif with the borders
crebrot-e
The sleeves were attached with red and brown pieces of fabrics, these were also embellished with embroidery and wooden beads.
crebrot-s
The tunic-
cream brown tunic

I have worked embroidery on tunics over the years. Not all of them were posted on the blog. I started writing ‘works in progress Wednesdays’ posts from 2014. These tunics were worked before that year. This tunic was worked in 2011.
The pick tunic fabric is cotton. The work was Kashmiri embroidery, the pattern has a motif and a decorative neckline consisting of flowers and paisleys.
pinliltk-pat
The motif was repeated on the hemline and sleeves. Embroidered motif.
pinliltk-em
The embroidered tunic.
pinklilac tunic[kashmiri]

Next Page »