December 2018


Project work seems to be increasing. The routine is to buy fabrics from India, design and work the embroideries, then they are given to the tailor to be sewn as tunic sets or blouses. This was going well till the projects were small or medium.
Now the projects are taking more time, the stitch challenges were not started for the past few weeks.
Some thinking and planning are in order. A new year resolution may be?
After swapping the border onto another tunic, a small border of triangles made of herringbone stitches with chain stitch was worked very near to the attached border.
WIPW201-blaikmirt-7
This is another tunic in satin silk, which came from the tailor yesterday. Small heart shaped pearl beads can be put to use.
WIPW201-lorasatsit-1
The bluish green fabric is some type of tussar silk saree bought from FabIndia during this recent trip. The navy fabric is raw silk for the blouse. The embroidery work will be on the sleeves of the blouse.
WIPW201-navymetb-1

I am still working on tunic projects.
The black ikat tunic was attached with the mirror work border. The border was sewn slightly away from the neck, and looks like the embroidered piece was not showing well on this black ikat fabric.
WIPW200-blaikmirt-5
I asked the tailor to take the piece away and attach it to another short top made of two fabrics. This time the piece was part of neck. May need some more embroidery, still thinking about it. These days, my tailor is sewing fancy necks for the back also!
WIPW200-blaikmirt-6
The kutchwork on this black tunic with printed border was completed. Now mirrors- to go with the markings or work the mirrors as a part of the motif?
WIPW200-blacrekutt-3
Once these projects are over, two fabrics are ready to be designed. One is a saree blouse, another one is a chiffon fabric for tunic.

Three projects have been completed this week. The black mirror work border- the tunic fabric and the embroidered border is with the tailor now.
Birthday gift 1- The letter ‘T’ on celtic back ground was completed and has been gifted.
Birthday gift 2- two letters ’D’ and ‘J’ with a cross in between was also completed and given.
The details will be posted later.
Kutch work motifs on sewn black tunic was started.
WIPW199-blacrekutt-2
I had a black cotton tunic embroidered with Kashmiri work. The embroidered piece was taken out from the tunic and attached on to this tunic. I need to work on the outline to make it more neat.
WIPW199-blamulticolkasht-1

I have never heard or seen this stitch before. This simple stitch arrangement is posted on Queenie’s blog here.
The samples were stitched with polyester thread. The sampler starts with straight stitches.
SSS.69.ptrusst-1
Pistil stitches, double chain stitches and bullion stitches are worked in this part of the sampler.
SSS.69.ptrusst-2
Long tailed chain, twisted satin, buttonhole, chained buttonhole and fly stitches are worked here.
SSS.69.ptrusst-3
The sampler-
SSS. 69. Point Russe stitch sampler

The daylight is getting shorter these days. I am not able to work for more time. The progress on projects is slow. Maybe due to dark colours being used. The challenge stitches are kept aside for a while.
The mirrors were stitched on this black border. Feeling the white open chain stitch gives too much of a contrast to the black mirrors. Initially wanted to work some silver beads over them, a friend suggested a red colour option. Trying that option, dark red stones are being stitched on the open chain stitches.
WIPW198-blaikmirt-4
I started working on the cross stitch project, which is birthday gift. It is specifically designed to fit a square frame from IKEA. I had already presented a printed card which fitted this frame to his wife two years ago. Project might take longer than I anticipated. The pictures will be posted after the frame has been gifted. The challenges will be started after this project.