April 2011


I had a half-white synthetic saree, with geometrical prints in black& red.
A red fabric was chosen as blouse to match the saree.
The whole embroidery was done only on the sleeves of the blouse.
For the first time I tried creating a different border pattern for kutchwork,
earlier, I just modified and customized the usual kutchwork patterns to my requirements.
I used black, grayish green, and white colour threads to embroider the pattern.
The mirrors were done in red .
Other than kutchwork and mirrors, chain stitch,
two variations of feather stitch, and some straight stitches around the mirror were used.

kutchwork on red blouse

The mirrors-

kutchwork on red blouse- mirrors

The border closeup-

kutchwork on redblouse- border

The saree is not with me anymore, but the blouse is still worn along with some other sarees. Because of the three colour combination- red , black& white.

I drew kutchwork patterns on graph and tried working the journey for these new patterns.
Instead of doing them a sampler, I embroidered on tunics.
In this tunic, I chose one motif and repeated to form a border.
This border was worked in the middle and sides on the front side of the tunic.
I knew , kutchwork in black thread is done on black fabric, making it look as a part of the fabric, like lace.
Here, I wanted to try using medium red on maroon striped tunic.
The tunic

red kutchwork tunicred kutchwork tunic-frontred kutchwork tunic-side closeupred kutchwork tunic-sleeves

I did the small square motif in the middle, in dark brown-
Front-

red kutchwork tunic-front

I turned the border pattern at right angle and used it for the sides.-

red kutchwork tunic- side closeup

 For the sleeves alone, I used a different motif border, and every alternate motif is done two colours-

red kutchwork-sleeves

After completing the embroidery, I gave the fabric for sewing.

This time all the pictures came got glued together, I had to insert again!
 
 
 

kutchwork on maroon blouse

The inspiration for this pattern came from a magazine. I saw a saree, which was embroidered on the border and pallu. It was done in aariwork[hook]. I still haven’t tried doing that work. My idea was to work chain stitch in single strand of cotton skein.
Then I bought a semi-tussar saree, in maroon, green ,black, beige colours[all colours together in one saree]. For this ,a semi tussar blouse material in maroon was chosen.
With all my enthusiasm[this was in place of my skill] drew the pattern on graph paper.
A medium size border, with uniformly placed single squares[for kutchwork] all over the sleeves of the blouse.
These single squares were done in two colours[they were slightly apart, which meant I couldn’t cross over from the wrong side] all together a time consuming foolish pattern idea!
The border was a piece of cake compared to the single squares.
I seem to have used the kutchwork with a vengeance on this blouse.

As for the colour combination, the threads I used were based on the saree colours, but they do look dull.
Lesson learnt- when doing a time consuming large embroidery, make sure the colours look extraordinary and matches most of the common outfits. Only then it is attractive.
Now the saree has gone, It is so difficult  to use this blouse now.

Today, I don’t  have time to play cat and mouse game with inserting pictures.Laksmi had given a suggestion, but I also  need a guide.LOL!

The time is not wasted , Iam drawing a pattern for a yoke.It sure does take time. It is a kutchwork pattern, After seeing my previous projects, I was tempted to  draw another kutchwork pattern.

I worked border and square motif pattern in pink on the sleeves of a green saree blouse.
The saree was in pink with green border. This was a pune cotton saree. They are a distinct variety of their own.
The blouse was mercerized cotton in green.
I asked the tailor to mark where the sleeves would be cut, And I drew the whole pattern there.
The pattern was a very simple , I drew it on inch graph, and traced it .
The kutchwork was worked with medium[the colour of the saree] pink, and a some buttonhole and crossed straight stitches in very light green.

pink kutch on green-motif

The border-

pink kutch on green-border
 

The motif-

pink kutchwork on green blouse
 

For some reason, for the past two days,.I am unable to insert the picture at the proper place on my posts.I don’t know what to do,Iam spending so much time on each posts. Till I figure what to do, bear with me.

 

This tunic is double colour, dark pink and violet.
The fabric is south cotton with checks and zari border.
Thought, bright golden yellow thread will go well with the combination ,and I added a zari thread while going around the basic stitches.
The pattern-
A motif pattern is repeated to form a border on the right side of the tunic , the same motif[extended a little] is used for the centre .

 
the centre motif-
 

centre motif closeup

the right border-

 
 
 

right border closeup

 

the tunic-
 
 
 
 

yellow kutchwork on violet tunic

 

I wore a tissue dupaata[scarf] for this tunic.

Next Page »