kutchwork


The works of this week were around tunics. Though the chain stitches on plum cotton tunic are monotonous, still it is interesting to see the growth on these simple border patterns.
WIPW230-pltch-6
A kutchwork pattern with chain stitch and mirror elements was drawn and traced onto the grey striped tunic after the tailor marked the neck. He doesn’t design the neck, just the dimensions are marked and the front piece is cut by him. This gives me room to design the neck, yoke etc. by cutting the tunic to size, I don’t have to hold the whole fabric while doing embroidery. Started the work with kutchwork elements in bright[ it does not look so bright in the image though!] orange thread.
WIPW230-grortku-2
In April I had bought a few tunic fabrics on cotton, they are not handloom. A light weight cotton, easy to maintain and cool to wear on hot days, they were used as blouse fabrics for sarees. The navy tunic with Kashmiri work came from this set.
WIPW222-ncotka-8
My friend liked this grey [we call it elephant grey colour] and she wanted chikan work done on it. A motif design which will be repeated was drawn yesterday. The front of the tunic will be filled with this motif. The plan is to draw the whole design on graph paper and then trace it on to the fabric.
WIPW230-gycottchi-1

Advertisements

After completing the blue tussar for my friend [she also worked on it] with beads, this week passed with working on plum cotton tunic.
The chain stitch on other side with the same thread was completed yesterday, tomorrow is another thread.
WIPW229-pltch-5
I have a bright orange tights which matched with an old black tunic with Kashmiri embroidery.
WIPW229-blortka-1
This embroidery was cut and stitched onto another tunic few months ago.
WIPW215-blamulticolkasht-1
Now this tunic goes well with black tights.
A tunic needs to be designed to match with orange tights. A striped grey hand loom fabric seems to match along with an orange checked handloom fabric. The tailor is marking the neck for embroidery.

I am drawing a design with kutchwork and mirrorwork elements.
WIPW229-grortku-1

This tunic was worked in 2012.
This cotton tunic is handloom cotton in golden yellow. The Indian pant is cream and yellow with a wavy pattern.
cre&yelkut-fab
the pattern was inspired by a tunic seen in a boutique.
cre&yelkut-pat
Starting with kutchwork border in the centre , the other linear stitches are chain in different colours, closed herringbone stitch, zigzag back stitch, fly stitch and its variation, and the last chain stitch boxes are for the mirrors to be worked inside. The detail-
cre&yelkut-d1
After working the small square mirrors.
cre&yelkut-2
The detail after working the mirrors.
cre&yelkut-d3
The sewn tunic.
DSC00141

The tunic was designed and worked in 2012. The fabric was block printed soft cotton named mul mul. The work was ethnic Gujarati embroidery. The motif design was repeated on the sleeves and on both sides of the shoulders-front and back.
crebrot-pat
Worked motif with the borders
crebrot-e
The sleeves were attached with red and brown pieces of fabrics, these were also embellished with embroidery and wooden beads.
crebrot-s
The tunic-
cream brown tunic

This past few days have been good stitch wise. The SSS challenge looks inviting week by week. I do have to set aside some time for this challenge. I lost tracking Beyond TAST for few weeks, really need to check are there any stitches which were not worked before.
Changing the colour of kutchwork on black yoke was completed. Luckily a mangalagiri fabric may go well with this yoke. A black fabric can also be sewn along with it.
WIPW221-blaykk-5
After completing the stems, a different blue thread was used to work the border around the neck. My friend is not sure about this colour, let me see.
WIPW221-ncotka-7
The neutral colour tussar work is still going off and on. This is a part of one completed sleeve. The other sleeve needs to be worked now.
WIPW221-neutusstz-7
The black work design on bluish green yoke for printed mull tunic was started with the colours from the fabric print, after this white thread will be used predominantly
WIPW221-wgtct-2
The next few days, it seems I might be busy with other house work, so next week’s progress may not be much.

This week went with the works on tunics.
I am still in the mode of changing the colours of the kutchwork black yoke. The blue colour was changed to yellow. This project was restarted with changing the blue colour, somehow green preceded it. I have started with changing the blue on the other side today.
WIPW220-blaykk-4
After filling with blue thread on this gold neckline, I started working isolated fly stitch variation with green novelty thread.
WIPW220-bpcretfse-5
Some more stems were worked with chain stitch on this navy tunic.
WIPW220-ncotka-6
Now that I am getting more friendly with my computer, I would like to post the details of the finished projects of this year.

This week did not go as I planned. It was a busy week, with matters other than stitching. Time was needed to think, plan and work beyond TAST challenge, which was scarce.
I decided to work on the tunic which was in progress before I left for India. It is nearing completion. The mirrors needed to be stitched in the centres.
WIPW185-vvblugkutcht-3

Next Page »