picture frame


I have started working on 36th week stitch. The 37th week stitch of SSS challenge is Hungarian stitch. the working is on Queenie’s blog. I had worked on a long stitch kit from Anchor few years ago. There were three kits of same size with different flowers. This is one of them.
SSS.37.Hungarian stitch1b
The background was also to be worked in long stitch only on all of them. On each of them a needlepoint stitch was worked. In this daffodils piece, Hungarian stitch was worked as back ground in black and maroon. Colour choice was not ideal, but it was okay.
SSS.37.Hungarian stitch 1a
After working the Roumanian stitch as Indian filling stitch, maybe small Hungarian stitch samples can be worked on canvas.

Advertisements

Stitch challenges
The knotted satin stitch of last week on SSS challenge was started on a peacock design on linen fabric. This will take a while to be completed. This week’s stitch on this challenge is lace stitch or three sided stitch on pulled thread embroidery. The samples are to be worked on small area within a frame. It’s started today.
wipw124-12-lace3sidst-1
NESSAL
Some bands will be taken from this stitch along to work with lace stitch.
TAST
This week Algerian eye stitch is on TAST challenge. The samples were worked on earlier challenge. The link to the samples on this blog was posted today morning on FB group page.
The stitch challenge stitches are taking up most of the time this week. The cross stitch borders were completed on Aida fabric for navy blue polyester linen tunic.
This fabric is benarasi georgette in green.
wipw124-benagreen-zardosi-1
Benarasi means a type of weaving on different fabrics. Silk, tussar, cotton, georgette , chiffon, crepe, wool are all woven in this type. It is from Varanasi [in northern India] or Benaras as it is called.
An embroidery with stones and zardosi beads will be worked around the neckline on dark green fabric. The design is ready to be traced.

This second frame I deviated from satin stitch and tried some leaf stitch and Algerian eye stitch.
There were lots of squares in this quilt pattern,and I did not want repeat the same satin stitch in different colours,
For the corner red , when it looked too big for satin stitch in red colour, I changed it into Algerian eye stitch.
The four diamond shapes in medium green was surrounded by satin stitches in different directions, this immediately called for some other stitch, and the chosen one was leaf stitch. Though it was done in one colour, the effect is totally different.
The colours are three shades of green , brownish green, red and cream.

needlepoint frame-2 green&red

Since there were only two frames, I could try only two designs.
It was an interesting venture with lots of possibility for creativity, though I did not use much here!

The basic pattern is from quilt block design book.
The first colour chosen was pink, from there violet, yellow and white. I tried alternating the dark and light shades violet just to see the effect. Another trial on squares on all the four sides- alternating medium and light pink shades.

needlepoint frame-1 pink

I had done a few long stitch kits by anchor. While browsing the net I found some pictures done in various needlepoint stitches.
These websites are full of them-

ANG

Needlepoint canvas

Rainbow gallery

I too wanted to try some, but starting with a new venture chose satin stitch as the base.
. I bought this book-1000 great quilt blocks, leading me to chose from the block designs .
the square frames were from IKEA, after measuring the size of the square, I chose two block designs. Then the canvas was marked with pencil.
These frames were meant to decorate my husband’s office room, later when he changed the office they came home. The pictures on my next posts.till then enjoy browsing these wonderful links.

This frame is with two medium size roses with bud. The roses are yellow.
Actually this pattern was used for the second time, when I initially bought the book, this pattern fascinated me so much that I did it on a tunic with waste canvas. But I can’t say it made me happy of the result. Why did I make medium blue roses? Iam  still wondering!
This pattern is done in aida cloth.
When the piece was inserted to the frame, I added a yellow paper for the outline too.
Not a bright idea definitely!

rose frame-1 yellow

Three more roses !

I made these roses in 2004, when we first came to this house.
The idea started with finding four wooden frames. I liked them so much, that wanted to do some flowers as a set.
I had a few cross stitch designs books from India. These were very small books which had cross stitch designs taken from other big cross stitch pattern books. the book size -10’ / 8’. The patterns were quite small too.
After going through these books, I had a desire of doing some roses. From all the rose patterns I chose four.
The choice was for two big roses with buds for two frames, and two medium roses for the other two.
Then I decided to do the patterns in four different colour schemes. The interesting part was choosing the dark to light shades of the same colour, to synchronise with the actual patterns. The details of the frames from the next post

Next Page »