mirror or shisha


It was a good week embroidery wise. Three tunics were worked and two designs were drawn for the next two tunics.
Grey orange tunic
The chain stitches worked in lighter orange was completed around the neck.
WIPW234-grortk-5
Two lines of chain stitches were worked on this teardrop motif.
WIPW234-grortk-6
The fifth motif on this grey tunic was completed yesterday.
WIPW234-gycottchi-4
Surprisingly, it is not tedious working on this blue neckline embroidery with chain stitches in half-white thread. I wonder why!
WIPW234-crenat-4
I have two synthetic chiffon material, which were supposed to be used as duppatta [scarf] for Indian tunics- one is black and another one is bright lemon yellow. The time has come to change them into wearable fabrics.
My friend fell in love with the yellow and wants to make a skirt. I have a saree, which has the blouse fabric attached to it in green. This might go well as blouse for the yellow skirt. A boat neck design with border patterns was drawn for this project.
WIPW234-greeboatt-1
For the black chiffon-I had seen a yoke design with borders and mirrors on the web some time ago. I have a black silk cotton fabric. A yoke made of kutchwork borders with mirror spaces was drawn two days ago.
Maybe I will know by next Wednesday, when these patterns will be traced on to the fabrics.

The works of this week were around tunics. Though the chain stitches on plum cotton tunic are monotonous, still it is interesting to see the growth on these simple border patterns.
WIPW230-pltch-6
A kutchwork pattern with chain stitch and mirror elements was drawn and traced onto the grey striped tunic after the tailor marked the neck. He doesn’t design the neck, just the dimensions are marked and the front piece is cut by him. This gives me room to design the neck, yoke etc. by cutting the tunic to size, I don’t have to hold the whole fabric while doing embroidery. Started the work with kutchwork elements in bright[ it does not look so bright in the image though!] orange thread.
WIPW230-grortku-2
In April I had bought a few tunic fabrics on cotton, they are not handloom. A light weight cotton, easy to maintain and cool to wear on hot days, they were used as blouse fabrics for sarees. The navy tunic with Kashmiri work came from this set.
WIPW222-ncotka-8
My friend liked this grey [we call it elephant grey colour] and she wanted chikan work done on it. A motif design which will be repeated was drawn yesterday. The front of the tunic will be filled with this motif. The plan is to draw the whole design on graph paper and then trace it on to the fabric.
WIPW230-gycottchi-1

The tunic was designed and worked in 2012. The fabric was block printed soft cotton named mul mul. The work was ethnic Gujarati embroidery. The motif design was repeated on the sleeves and on both sides of the shoulders-front and back.
crebrot-pat
Worked motif with the borders
crebrot-e
The sleeves were attached with red and brown pieces of fabrics, these were also embellished with embroidery and wooden beads.
crebrot-s
The tunic-
cream brown tunic

I am still working on tunic projects.
The black ikat tunic was attached with the mirror work border. The border was sewn slightly away from the neck, and looks like the embroidered piece was not showing well on this black ikat fabric.
WIPW200-blaikmirt-5
I asked the tailor to take the piece away and attach it to another short top made of two fabrics. This time the piece was part of neck. May need some more embroidery, still thinking about it. These days, my tailor is sewing fancy necks for the back also!
WIPW200-blaikmirt-6
The kutchwork on this black tunic with printed border was completed. Now mirrors- to go with the markings or work the mirrors as a part of the motif?
WIPW200-blacrekutt-3
Once these projects are over, two fabrics are ready to be designed. One is a saree blouse, another one is a chiffon fabric for tunic.

The daylight is getting shorter these days. I am not able to work for more time. The progress on projects is slow. Maybe due to dark colours being used. The challenge stitches are kept aside for a while.
The mirrors were stitched on this black border. Feeling the white open chain stitch gives too much of a contrast to the black mirrors. Initially wanted to work some silver beads over them, a friend suggested a red colour option. Trying that option, dark red stones are being stitched on the open chain stitches.
WIPW198-blaikmirt-4
I started working on the cross stitch project, which is birthday gift. It is specifically designed to fit a square frame from IKEA. I had already presented a printed card which fitted this frame to his wife two years ago. Project might take longer than I anticipated. The pictures will be posted after the frame has been gifted. The challenges will be started after this project.

This week was a good week for stitching in spite of viral infection. I am on the mend now, started the medicines at the right time.
I am working on the mirrors and the silver beads together on this black border. The progress is more, but the picture taken of it is not so good.
WIPW197-blaikmirt-3
This is another project, plain black tunic, the motif border will be attached to the tunic and the cream block printed fabric is the salwar. It is with the tailor now. I might do a small kutchwork on it.
WIPW197-blacrekutt-1
I am also designing a cross stitch pattern incorporating a letter with a celtic background. The celtic motif is a free pattern from inkcircles. This is a birthday gift. So the progress pictures may not be posted till it is gifted.

I went to India for a week, returned 3 days ago. I am working on Beyond TAST challenge now.
Mirror work will start on this embroidered border. Open chain stitch is worked in white thread and the chain stitch outline in silver thread.
WIPW196-blaikmirt-3

Next Page »