design


The tunic was designed and worked in 2012. The fabric was block printed soft cotton named mul mul. The work was ethnic Gujarati embroidery. The motif design was repeated on the sleeves and on both sides of the shoulders-front and back.
crebrot-pat
Worked motif with the borders
crebrot-e
The sleeves were attached with red and brown pieces of fabrics, these were also embellished with embroidery and wooden beads.
crebrot-s
The tunic-
cream brown tunic

Advertisements

I am still working on projects this week. Generally, handloom cotton, silk, crepe fabrics are bought during trips to India. The season being cool here in Muscat, the silk and crepe fabrics are taken out for designing and embroidering. Some work is rich, intricate and time consuming. This year, even elaborate work is interesting.
Last week, the picture of the peach on cream chiffon was not clear. This picture shows the circles worked in detached chain and fly stitches. The chain outline is worked in two shades of peach silk threads.
WIPW209-creapeatz-3
This week’s progress is rope stitch on the stems and stone embellishment.
WIPW209-creapeatz-4
The work on navy blue blouse is faster because of closed herringbone filling. Realizing now, the gold metallic thread must have been harder to work, that is why it took so much time. Since it was repetitive, it was relaxing. The picture of the progress was not taken, because of the same motif.
A tussar silk in neutral colour is with the tailor for marking of neck and sleeves. The idea will be shared on next week’s post.

I am working only on projects this week.
Another idea is tried out on navy blouse. The paisleys are filled with closed herringbone stitch with variegated metallic thread. The initial idea was to fill these in chain stitch, realizing the time taken for this project, decided to fill with closed herringbone. One motif done! 5 more to go.
WIPW208-navymetb-5
The work on cream chiffon tunic started with tracing of the neck line on cream silk cotton fabric. Circles were drawn to work flowers. 7 detached chains and fly stitches are worked on the circles. This stitch arrangement is still in progress. The picture quality is not very clear.
WIPW208-creapeatz-2
I also found a lost project which I was searching for quite some time. This was a saree project. A few motifs were traced on one end of the saree, where it is draped over the left shoulder. This is called the pallu [Hindi] or thalippu [Tamil] of the saree. This saree was hidden in the wardrobe all this time.
WIPW166-phucreamsar-1

This week the progress is on the projects. This week’s SSS challenge stitch is interesting. It is an Indian stitch, but I don’t know it was. It will be good to study this stitch.
The work on navy blue blouse does take quite a lot of time. Just checking how an idea of stitching a  variegated silk thread which goes with the saree colour  would work out. It seems nice.
wipw204-navymetb-3
Taking a break from the blouse, the sleeves of the crepe tunic was started on black fabric. The idea is to work the embroidery is silk thread, so this black fabric seems ideal. Started with back stitch outlines and chain stitch with single strand of silk thread.
wipw204-blublazt-2
Beyond TAST stitches till now have been already worked stitches.

These past two days after the festivities were productive stitch wise.
I started on the Beyond TAST sampler. The earlier stitch samplers have to be looked into for  more stitch ideas.
Today the recent SSS challenge stitch sampler was also started. It is not a complicated stitch is my observation at this point. The possibility of doing it wrong or inventing a new stitch have to be considered!
Keeping aside the Kashmiri embroidery for the time being, a new embroidery project on an aqua green tunic fabric was started. The tailor had marked and given the tunic front. Started with stem stitch. The pattern is floral.
WIPW188-aqgreepinkt-1

I have been working on this challenge whenever possible during these past weeks, just realized the details of samples were never posted after the first one.
The second sample is also a flower. The filling is with buttonhole stitches.
BTAST18-4-2a
Outlining with chain stitch.
BTAST18-4-2b
Trellis stitch.
BTAST18-4-2c
Rope stitch
BTAST18-4-2d
Straight stitches worked in angles on top of each other.
BTAST18-4-2e
Again buttonhole.
BTAST18-4-2f
Completed with straight stitches and pistil stitches. Another fantasy flower.BTAST18-4-2

These isolated stitch explorations were worked during the first week of this month. iam late in posting the details.
Individual triple chain stitches are worked in a pattern in the first sample. The second sample is an arrangement of Vandyke stitches.
BTAST-2-23
Starting of Cretan stitch mandala.
BTAST-2-24a
Another circle of overlapping Cretan circle.
BTAST-2-24b
Finished with fly stitches.
BTAST-2-24c
The first sample is a combo of buttonhole stitch and wheat ear stitch and the second sample is an arrangement of sword stitches.
BTAST-2-25
These detailed motifs on the sampler.
BTAST-2-26
These are double chain explorations. I didn’t get far.
BTAST-2-27
Used this double chain on the motif inside the design too.
BTAST-2-28
Now for some twisted chain arrangements. This twisted chain stitch is a versatile stitch. This stitch was used often on my TAST samplers.
BTAST-2-29
Isolated Basque stitches.
BTAST-2-30
Coral stitch arrangements.
BTAST-2-31
Experimenting with double interlacing on these buttonhole square.
BTAST-2-32
Another double interlaced sample.
BTAST-2-33
The detailed samples together on the sampler.
BTAST-2-34
And it was time to complete this design with stitches. The stitches are coral stitch, twisted chain stitch, fern stitch, half chevron stitch, couching with Vandyke stitches, twisting done on two back stitches.
BTAST-2-35
The sampler is completed for this challenge. The sampler piece can be used later.
BTAST-2-Sampler1
The design with the stitch experiments.
BTAST-2-sampler2

Next Page »