I went to India for a week, returned 3 days ago. I am working on Beyond TAST challenge now.
Mirror work will start on this embroidered border. Open chain stitch is worked in white thread and the chain stitch outline in silver thread.
WIPW196-blaikmirt-3

I am back to the stitching routine. The progress on Beyond TAST and SSS Challenges were not much. After working some samples of woven stitches, the search for new ideas started again.
The next two stitches on SSS challenge are easy. Hoping to start on them.
Kashmiri embroidery on Cream tussar tunic was completed and the tunic is with the tailor now.
The new project is mirror work border for this fine cotton ikat fabric.
WIPW195-blaikmirt-1
The design was traced on plain black fabric. The shapes are outlined with 2 shades red thread. This thread is the darker one.
WIPW195-blaikmirt-2
This project has small mirrors.
Drawing and tracing for this project took the time from working on challenges.

There was no work in progress on SSS challenge this week. Thorn stitch might be started today. The details of finished samplers re waiting to be posted.
Thorn stitch looks easy. Rambler rose stitch needs to be practiced. Moss stitch needs to be learnt first.
Projects
Red striped tunic
Most of the time was spent on working on this tunic. The open chain stitches on leaves was completed. Outlining and filling the space on the border  with metallic thread was started.
WIPW153-redstrt-7
Mustard yellow and copper tunic
After working on the leaves of the red tunic, got bored and started some fly stitch variation on this mustard yellow tunic.
WIPW153-muscopt-2
This tunic is already sewn by the tailor. Ideal project for work when feeling bored. The idea can be contemplated at one time, it can be implemented at another time and can also be shelved for some time.
Green yellow ikat tunic
Worked some open chain stitch inside the buttonhole stitch circle and chain stitch along the outline on this project.
WIPW153-yelgreenikat
The progress during this week was initially repetitive, then slowed down to some scattered stitches and moved on to some development of design.

 

This zigzag stitching was tried on many stitches- chain stitch, back stitch, running stitch, buttonhole stitches. In fact one of the variation tried on various stitch explorations is this zigzag version of the stitch. This time around on SSS challenge we have just the basic zigzag stitch, which I have never tried before. The working is on Queenie’s blog.
The sampler starts with the basic zigzag stitch in the first sample. The individual version of zigzag stitch was tried in the second sample, this uses more thread in the back. a closely worked zigzag stitch is worked in the third sample.
SSS.26.zgzgst-1
The zigzag stitches are long and narrow in the first sample, after working the wider version of this stitch in the second sample, the wider and narrower versions are alternated in the third sample. The fourth sample is long and short zigzag stitch.
SSS.26.zgzgst-2
After working X-ray stitch and Y stitch, it was tempting to work Z stitch. This first sample is more of a variation of back stitch. After this three rows of zigzag stitches were worked  upright cross stitch, weaving and chain stitch are worked over the crosses in dark blue thread.
SSS.26.zgzgst-3
The sampler is completed with these samples. The samples are worked with polyester thread.

SSS.26.zigzag stitch sampler

Challenges
On SSS challenge there is a new stitch- Japanese darning stitch. A sampler was worked yesterday.
On TAST 2017 also has a new stitch this week, fancy herringbone stitch, which was not part of earlier TAST challenges. Hoping to start this stitch sampler today or tomorrow.
The NESSAL and RPW2016 were not started or touched this week.
Zardsosi
After working the stem and arrowhead stitches, green zardosi beads are used for filling the paisleys and the space between the arrowhead stitches. I have started working the beads on the last outline, but yet to take the picture.
wipw121-cresilkbanrasizardosi-5
Cross stitch
The sleeves of a navy blue polyester linen tunic will have cross stitch borders on them. Two borders were chosen from files downloaded on the internet.
After securing the edges of the Aida with buttonhole stitches, the borders were started. Three shades of blue and one dark red are to be used on this project. Work on this project will be after the completion of the zardosi embroidery.

wipw121-nbluepolinencross-3

On this week’s chart on RPW 2016, the motifs in the centre are completed and there are three more motifs and a corner design. The chart is available here.
Made a mistake in calculation on the corner motif, had to remove the stitches and start over again. I like this corner motif.

rpw2016-w48

rpw2016-w48

The sampler we are working on RPW2016 seems to have completed the alphabets and numerals and started with motifs. The chart is available here.
These past weeks it is hard to work on this piece. The fabric is too big, each and every stitch needs to be checked, and only time the work proceeds faster is after making a mistake! Next time, any cross stitch project is going to be a personal challenge and it has to be small.  And this ‘next time’ should be several months later. Phew!

RPW2016-W47

RPW2016-W47