October 2011


The embroidery part of the motif is completed in this picture.

peach mirror yoke-emb completed

The embroidery is worked with a small frame. With out the frame, it is easier to hold the mirror with the fingers when it is stitched on to the fabric, and once few mirrors are fixed, small frame cannot be used . this picture was taken after the embroidery was completed , and the mirrors were yet to be fixed
The embroidery detail-

peach mirror yoke -emb close up

Mirrors and completed tunic on my next post.

Advertisements

I don’t remember where I got the inspiration for this mirror work idea.
The idea- to work the mirrors in the same shade of the fabric ,on a traditional Indian motif pattern .
Choosing colours was not a big thing.the tunic fabric was peach colour mercerized cotton. The mirrors were to be worked in this colour thread. Another choice of colour was beige, the filling was worked in darker shade of peach in silk thread.
The motif was made with floral mirrors. When I was working on this yoke I did not take pictures at all stages. So this picture shows – the outlines of the floral mirror in light peach, the creepers worked in gold colour silk thread, the shapes filled in herring bone stitches in dark peach colour silk thread-

peach mirrorwork yoke-WIP

Completed embroidery on my next post.

This is last part of the blackwork borders I had used as a yoke pattern. This particular set of borders are a combination of blackwork border patterns .
This yoke is small, and embroidered with shades of blue thread.
The third part of the pattern-

blue blackwork tunic-part3

The completed yoke placed over the tunic fabric.

bbt-completed yoke

The completed tunic-

blue blackwork tunic

Another view of the completed tunic-

blue blackwork tunic -2

The blackwork borders were worked in shades of blue, with the idea of matching this tunic top to my blue jeans. The embroidery had a certain look, while working on the white fabric, then it looked different , when it was attached to the light blue tunic fabric.
Maybe, for the blue tunic fabric , I should have used some other combination.
The second part of the border pattern-

blue blackwork border-2

 

The third part on my next post.

While browsing for some designs, I hit upon the idea of working some borders as a yoke pattern. Getting into the spirit of it thought blackwork borders can be used for this.
Then the tunic fabric was chosen, a light blue handloom cotton fabric.
I thought the yoke can be worked in white colour fabric, with threads in shades of blue.
The blackwork borders that were drawn on graph paper. Then this pattern was traced on to the white fabric. Then I started the embroidery on this pattern.
Step by step pictures were not taken.
So a part of the border –

blackwork border tunic -1

It is a small yoke. two more parts are there. Will post them later.

This is last post on the details of this sequined yoke.
The thread embroidery is completed.now for the stones , beads and sequins.
Leaves- Small antique beads were worked around the fly stitch on the leaves.

m s yoke-leaf beads closeup

Stones-the stones were placed inside the central motif between the fly stitches.
Sequined circles- flower shaped sequins were stitched to the centre with a bead,and five antique gold beads were stitched around the sequin, this bead pattern is worked all over the circles and border.

m s yoke- sequined circles

After working with the central motif, the border- a line of antique golden beads, between the chain stitches, the scallops were worked with the same bead pattern[circle] fixed with red beads.

ms yoke completed 1

Full yoke is not seen here,another closeup-

m s yoke completed 2

The completed yoke was placed over the tunic fabric.

m s yoke -yoke on tunic

I gave the yoke and the tunic fabric to the tailor. And it came back like this-

m s yoke tunic completed

I enjoyed working on this yoke, especially the sequins and beads part. I also feel that if the tunic fabric was plain one, it would have looked better.

The embroidery details of this maroon yoke are continued here.
The colours used for this embroidery are chosen from the tunic fabric,
The next colour was green mettalic thread, this was used for enhancing the leaf patterns, the stem stitches are worked inside the leaf borders . it is not clearly visible.
I forgot to take a picture after working with this thread, so this picture is while working with the beige thread.

maroon sequin yoke-WIP4

a close up of the mettalic green thread working-

maroon sequin yoke- mettalic thread closeup

The next colour is beige.the stitches worked with this colour are –
Back stitch for the border, scallops,circles[ into which, sequins were added], diamond shape. The fly stitch for the inner part of the leaf. And a line of chain stitch for the centre pattern.

maroon sequin yoke WIP5

More details on my next post.

Next Page »