I have started working on 36th week stitch. The 37th week stitch of SSS challenge is Hungarian stitch. the working is on Queenie’s blog. I had worked on a long stitch kit from Anchor few years ago. There were three kits of same size with different flowers. This is one of them.
SSS.37.Hungarian stitch1b
The background was also to be worked in long stitch only on all of them. On each of them a needlepoint stitch was worked. In this daffodils piece, Hungarian stitch was worked as back ground in black and maroon. Colour choice was not ideal, but it was okay.
SSS.37.Hungarian stitch 1a
After working the Roumanian stitch as Indian filling stitch, maybe small Hungarian stitch samples can be worked on canvas.

This second frame I deviated from satin stitch and tried some leaf stitch and Algerian eye stitch.
There were lots of squares in this quilt pattern,and I did not want repeat the same satin stitch in different colours,
For the corner red , when it looked too big for satin stitch in red colour, I changed it into Algerian eye stitch.
The four diamond shapes in medium green was surrounded by satin stitches in different directions, this immediately called for some other stitch, and the chosen one was leaf stitch. Though it was done in one colour, the effect is totally different.
The colours are three shades of green , brownish green, red and cream.

needlepoint frame-2 green&red

Since there were only two frames, I could try only two designs.
It was an interesting venture with lots of possibility for creativity, though I did not use much here!

The basic pattern is from quilt block design book.
The first colour chosen was pink, from there violet, yellow and white. I tried alternating the dark and light shades violet just to see the effect. Another trial on squares on all the four sides- alternating medium and light pink shades.

needlepoint frame-1 pink

This is the last piece in this set of four roses.
This is a big single rose with two buds. the design was taken again from the same set of books, this time from a cushion design.
The book had a flower bouquet design for a cushion, I took the rose and the buds were lifted from other smaller bouquets. then they were all put together to form this particular frame.

pink rose-4

All the four frames together-

roses in cross stitch

With this I complete this set.
This was the first time I worked with evenweave aida cloth, earlier works were done in matti cloth bought in India, where the weave is rectangular. That made the patterns ablong instead of square . Any pattern will look compressed or elongated depending on how we use the matti. However much we work, there was always a sense of dissatisfaction, when the work was complete.
I literally drooled over the aida cloth when I first saw it here. I sometimes use them on my tunics too.

This whole thing started, with the idea of having one picture with red roses.
The pattern was chosen from the small cross stitch book, a border pattern.
It was a wide border, the roses were quite impressive, I chose two roses and a bud from that, and then customized them to suit this frame.
As seen in the picture, I wanted real dark red rose!

3. red roses

The patterns were really small, a strain for the eyes.I used a graph paper to draw individually whichever colour thread I was working on at that time. This meant extra time to draw each and every colour on graph, but cross stitching was swift.
The routine was-
Choose the colour, match it with the symbol, draw that symbols alone on graph, then do the cross stitching,then again start with the next colour.
The last one is pink rose.

This is the last picture of my four assissi frame  designsassissi0041

assissi005

  Deer was the main theme.I chose  an easy blackwork fillng pattern.

I like the border of this picture the best of the four .

I forgot to take photo of this picture ,while I was working.

The framed picture-assissi006

This  is the 2nd picture I had designed earlier for doing  assissi embroidery.I have maintained the basic idea of miniature [Indian]  in this also. This is also a symmetrical floral design.

st-ex006

I did not work on the blackwork filling patterns ,when I designed these pictures.Along with working on the design, I had to calculate on the overall blackwork pattern too.I am doing  a different pattern for each picture, just to give myself a variety.assissi005

 

I stitched my initials on the big flower petal.

assissi003

The picture allignment is not good, too late to do something about it.

Little imperfections are part of the trade!

The border is a geometrical pattern.

This is not a square weave  cloth, it is rectangular. Important detail-which I overlooked, while calculating the number of squares for the designs,.Fortunately I found that before I started working, and added 10 squares to the width and adjusted.