The filling stitches of Beyond TAST challenge was explored a little in this week. A few more worked and needs to be posted on the blog.
The 73rd and 74th week stitches of SSS challenge were worked during this week too. The images are also waiting to be posted. It is hard to find time to work on the computer.
Red and black raw silk tunic
The squares marked on this red and black tunic were filled with closed herringbone stitches. The stitches were then pinned down with chain stitches. The outlines are also worked in chain stitch. Since, the thread used is the same colour as the red fabric, the work is not clearly seen.
WIPW192-redblatp-2
The sleeves did not have the black fabric outline as the neck, chain stitch rows were worked on both sleeves in black thread.
WIPW192-redblatp-3
An idea of stitching red stones on the red fabric has to be tried.

 

The work on stitch challenges are still lagging in this week too. This is the last week on the current Beyond TAST challenge. I am hoping to start on SSS challenge stitch today.
The embroidery on Aqua green was completed and the tunic is with the tailor.
My friend had a red and black raw silk tunic stitched, the red fabric needs to be lengthier than it is now.
An idea of filling squares diagonally with herringbone stitch starts with 2cms marking on the black fabric.
WIPW191-redblatp-1
I am using two strands of cotton skein[same colour as the red fabric], I may have to work a row of back or chain stitch over it. The space is too much for the right tension. A thicker or more strands would have helped, but it would have raised the embroidery, which is not required.

The yoke worked with phulkari embroidery is placed on the tunic fabric, since these blog posts are done from India , the pictures on these posts are not edited completely. It would have been helpful to see the tunic fabric alone , to get a different inspiration for the embroidery design.

greephulyk-6

The tunic fabric is really bright. the tunic was then sewn by the tailor with three pin tucks on both sides of the yoke. the picture of the tunic-

greephulyk-tunic

The pattern for this motif was inspired by a quilt design.

The embroidery of this phulkari yoke is done in surface satin stitch. The prominent colour is red for this tunic, so a variegated silk thread, with shades of red and yellow is used for filling the triangles on these motifs-

greephulyk-4

White thread is used for outlining the centre, and embellishing the corners with surface satin and fly stitches.

greephulyk-5

The geometric motif for this tunic is worked in phulkari embroidery.
This embroidery is part of ethnic Indian embroideries.it is done in Punjab part of India and Pakistan too. In those parts the whole fabric is covered with embroidery. But I have chosen to work this embroidery on a square motif for this yoke space.
The motif with the second thread-yellow-

greephulyk-2

Combination of green and brown thread-

greephulyk-3

Two strands of skeins are used for this embroidery.

This tunic fabric is block printed with florals in cotton. This type  of light cottons are ideal for hot climates, and suitable for casual wear, with these prints. the base colour of this tunic is yellow/brown. The flowers were on shades of red.
The yoke fabric chosen for this tunic was green/yellow. Four repeating geometric motifs was the pattern to be embroidered. This is a small yoke. the colours used were, green, yellow, variegated red and white. The variegated red thread was silk and others were cotton skeins.
the motifs with medium green colour thread-

greephul-1

The embroidery stitches were, surface satin stitch, Rhodes stitch for the centre, and straight stitches.

After working the surface satin stitches with orange colour silk thread, I moved on to green colour thread.
The yoke so far-

phulkari yoke on marron tunic WIP3

Now for the main colour, maroon are very dark red colour silk thread.
This thread was used for the fern stitches and outlining other satin worked spaces.
The yoke with all the colours-

phulkari yoke on maroon tunic-completed

The embroidery was completed at this stage. On my next post, the mirrors and the completed tunic.

In this phulkari embroidery yoke, I worked with silk threads. For the mirror work alone I used stranded cotton.
After working the small corner squares in yellow , the pattern on the squares are worked in orange colour silk thread.

phukari yoke on maroon tunic -WIP 2

The motif can be used for lagartera embroidery also, with the back stitches.
The rest of the embroidery details on my next post.

This was my first introduction to phulkari embroidery.
I was told that , the embroidery was done with surface satin stitch on geometrical patterns.
Then I saw a picture of a bedspread or shawl, which was fully covered with phulkari embroidery. Only thing I could make of the picture was that it was– BRIGHT!
Computer was not my friend then.
I wanted to try this embroidery, but without sources to learn the proper method, I made my version geometrical border pattern and stitched them in surface satin stitch.
At that time, idea of making a sampler had not yet come to me.So this border pattern was used for a tunic . The tunic fabric was synthetic material printed in red. price was Rs.28 per meter.
The embroidery was done in black,to incorporate more colours.
I wore this tunic for ten years, and in 2004, I cut the embroidery piece from the tunic-

phulkari border

The closeup-

phulkari border-closeup

This piece could be used as borders for bag. Still it is lying there in the cupboard in Chennai.