I was catching upon some of the stitches on SSS challenge. The working of the Hungarian stitch is on Queenie’s blog. The back ground of a long stitch kit was filled with Hungarian stitch some years ago. It was a time, when I was working only on projects, adding extra elements to these projects to make them unique was a favourite pastime.
This tiny sampler starts with some ways of fillings with Hungarian stitch. These can also be used as borders.
SSS.37.hungst-1
The next part of the sampler is worked with two colours. perle cotton #8 was used.
SSS.37.hungst-2
The whole sampler.
SSS.37.hungarian stitch sampler
I enjoyed thinking about these variations more than actually working them. Maybe because the canvas was quite stiff and it has been awhile since I have worked with canvas.

 

Advertisements

This week’s stitch on SSS challenge is vault stitch. The working of this needlepoint stitch is on Queenie’s blog. I have never heard of this stitch. It goes by other names too [ex] fan vaulting, Church roof stitch… I was trying to find this stitch on the net, but was not very successful.
The stitch consists of two parts, one worked vertical and second part horizontal. First I thought this was just a variation worked by Queenie, then realized the stitch is completed only after working both parts.
The sampler is started with the basic vault stitch. In the second sample the horizontal stitches are narrow. The third sample is a variation- the horizontal stitches are worked wide and narrow alternatively. In the fourth sample, the vertical stitches are short.
SSS.22.vaust-1
In the second part of the sampler, the first row is vault stitch worked in two colours. The two threads were worked continuously by parking aside the non-working thread. The vault stitch is outlined with running stitch in the second sample. Three arrangements were tried with vault stitch in the last part of the sampler.
SSS.22.vaust-2
It was interesting to arrange the vault stitch in the last part of the sampler.
SSS.22.Vault stitch sampler
With these samples vault stitch experiments are over.

This second frame I deviated from satin stitch and tried some leaf stitch and Algerian eye stitch.
There were lots of squares in this quilt pattern,and I did not want repeat the same satin stitch in different colours,
For the corner red , when it looked too big for satin stitch in red colour, I changed it into Algerian eye stitch.
The four diamond shapes in medium green was surrounded by satin stitches in different directions, this immediately called for some other stitch, and the chosen one was leaf stitch. Though it was done in one colour, the effect is totally different.
The colours are three shades of green , brownish green, red and cream.

needlepoint frame-2 green&red

Since there were only two frames, I could try only two designs.
It was an interesting venture with lots of possibility for creativity, though I did not use much here!

The basic pattern is from quilt block design book.
The first colour chosen was pink, from there violet, yellow and white. I tried alternating the dark and light shades violet just to see the effect. Another trial on squares on all the four sides- alternating medium and light pink shades.

needlepoint frame-1 pink

I had done a few long stitch kits by anchor. While browsing the net I found some pictures done in various needlepoint stitches.
These websites are full of them-

ANG

Needlepoint canvas

Rainbow gallery

I too wanted to try some, but starting with a new venture chose satin stitch as the base.
. I bought this book-1000 great quilt blocks, leading me to chose from the block designs .
the square frames were from IKEA, after measuring the size of the square, I chose two block designs. Then the canvas was marked with pencil.
These frames were meant to decorate my husband’s office room, later when he changed the office they came home. The pictures on my next posts.till then enjoy browsing these wonderful links.