I have been working on this sewn tunic this week.
The kutchwork pattern was traced onto the tunic with white carbon. Not a very bright idea.
When a time was conducive I started with brown thread. The design was very light after so many weeks. The brown thread in Chennai sunlight did not match so well as in Muscat indoor light. Still eager to start the project, I started with the basic stitches with brown thread. While working on it bought red and yellow threads. After ensuring the points are covered with brown thread, started with the yellow thread.
The basic stitches in brown are interlaced with red thread. This looks much better than the dull brown. Controlling the urge to work mirrors.
The four motifs below the neck was worked in red thread.
The pattern is now is worked with yellow thread.
The centre and other spaces are worked in half white thread. By this time the design from white carbon has completely vanished. This pattern was also drawn on 2mm graph paper.
The project is completed without mirrors.
The embroidery detail-
The tunic looks nice even without the embroidery. An outline stitch around the neck would have been sufficient.
The 17th stitch on SSS challenge seems like an easy stitch. Started working on the sampler today.
April 12, 2017
I have been working on this sewn tunic this week.
December 14, 2016
Cyclone in Chennai
We are planning to go to Chennai, India for a week on Friday. This city was ravaged by cyclone on Monday. The electricity is yet to be restored. The mobile connections are also down. It is limping now. it will be a tough time. The next week would be free from stitching.
RPW 2016- this challenge is lagging behind. Previous week’s motifs are started and the motifs and the border can be worked in leisure without the chart now. Yet to do that on this week’s chart.
SSS- This week is a revision of the first five stitches. I am not planning to do anything this week, but will be browsing the other stitchers of this challenge.
TAST- zigzag woven chain is this week’s stitch on this challenge. The link to the samples worked earlier was posted on FB group page yesterday. This is the last stitch for this year. Sharon has hinted that after 100 stitches there might be some change.
This is the only project I am working on this embroidery. This needs to be completed before it goes to the tailor.
Two projects are awaiting to be designed on this subject. One is the orange tunic with chanderi patch and another is a white linen fabric. A basic idea of the design is ready for the white linen, it is yet to be drawn and traced on to white silk cotton piece, when the time permits! The design has to be created for the orange tunic.
I picked up this tunic from the tailor yesterday. The black borders will be worked with mirrors, someday I think! At least the tunic and the idea are ready.
String bag 
After tracing the design on to the linen fabric, initial stitches are made in stem stitch. Three strands of three different threads are used. Expectation was more to see the effect of three colours mixed together. It is less than I expected, still happy with it. Will see this after coming back from India.
Wishing for some really small projects to complete faster. All small projects are on sewn tunics. These days my interests in tunic designs seem bigger and bigger. Lots of time has to be invested for these works. Being bigger the designing also takes time. Too many choices and it is hard to draw a line. It appears the RPW challenge might extend way into 2017. That can be the excuse not to join next year’s RPW challenge.
August 7, 2016
This tunic fabric is cotton. It might be Kanchi or south Indian cotton. It came with a woven border on it. The embroidery is worked after the tunic is sewn. The tailor stitched the border on the tunic beautifully and neatly.
The idea was to work kutchwork borders just below the borders in the front of tunic and use mirrors to further embellish it. Presently the designs I am working on are exclusively kutchwork, without any other stitches, influenced by Armenian Marash embroidery. The small kutchwork borders were drawn free hand with pencil. When I started embroidering on the tunics, this is how the designs were drawn on sewn tunics. Going down the memory lane, the kutchwork embroidery was worked with yellow anchor cotton skein# 304.
The second border is made of square kutchwork motifs. I was still in the stage of adding mirrors below this border. The detail-
The completed second border. When looking at these two borders, I felt the embroidered borders were quite attractive below the woven borders by themselves, and if the mirrors are stitched, they might take the focus away from the beauty of the woven border.
While buying this fabric, I could get a cotton ikat with similar colour scheme of the woven border for matching salwar [Indian pants].
The completed tunic.
Since the patterns were drawn on the tunic itself, the pattern on paper is not available for sharing.