reapeating pattern


While browsing for some designs, I hit upon the idea of working some borders as a yoke pattern. Getting into the spirit of it thought blackwork borders can be used for this.
Then the tunic fabric was chosen, a light blue handloom cotton fabric.
I thought the yoke can be worked in white colour fabric, with threads in shades of blue.
The blackwork borders that were drawn on graph paper. Then this pattern was traced on to the white fabric. Then I started the embroidery on this pattern.
Step by step pictures were not taken.
So a part of the border –

blackwork border tunic -1

It is a small yoke. two more parts are there. Will post them later.

The next part of the embroidery design on this tunic.
The pattern starts from the right shoulder, ends at the waist.
The top part of the embroidery was on my previous post, the rest of the pattern is on this post.

yellow mirrorwork tunic part design-2

This was the first time that I used mirror work as a flower motif, the stitches around the mirrors are worked to enhance that effect. I enjoyed working on this pattern very much.
The tunic on my next post.

This pink tunic and its salwar are handloom cotton fabrics.
The design for this embroidery was taken from a embroidery design book. there it was on small scale, I enlarged it to suit my requirement.
The colours chosen for the embroidery are from the block printed salwar –

yellow mirrorwork tunic

The salwar fabric also had a border, which I used for the sleeves.
The mirrors worked in this tunic are used as a flower for a small motif-

yellow mirrorwork motif

Other parts of the embroidery on my next post.

With this detail the yoke design is complete. The length of the yoke is 18 inches. The neck is not part of the design.

Whenever I work on these type of traditional designs, I generally cover the area with embroidery and embellishments . But for this design, embroidery was worked on the traced lines only. Mirrors were the only addition.
The embroidery was used just to enhance the colours on this tunic.
The last part of the yoke-

blue green tunic closeup-3

I wear a light green mercerized cotton salwar [Indian pants] for this tunic.
The full yoke-

blue and green tunic

I am fond of paisley designs, this pattern has 6 paisleys. This pattern would also work for –kashmiri embroidery,bead work ,kantha work and sequin work.

The last item that was embroidered on this motif pattern is the outlining in back stitch with cream thread. I thought I‘ll outline all the filling stitches in this motif pattern,.
Few curves were also worked in back stitch. Thus the whole motif yoke is completed.

yoke motif -completed

The close up picture of the completed motif-

yoke motif- closeup

Now for the final result-
After completing this, I had gone to India, where I bought a few brocade materials for embellishing tunics. One of the material was in peach colour, since this motif has peach in it, I thought of attaching the brocade to the tunic .
The idea was to stitch the tunic with alternate panels with the tunic fabric, attach a chiffon fabric for the sleeves with brocade border, attach the yoke with the brocade fabric outlining the yoke.
The tailor also had an idea of lining the body part of the tunic,and so with so many layers- lining, tunic fabric , brocade , the yoke, the tunic is very thick and heavy, but the sleeves with the chiffon[without any lining], is kept intact only with the weight of the brocade border. The tunic looks pretty funny, and definitely Iam not laughing!
Lessons- If Iam doing motif patterns for yoke, they have to be arranged in a different manner.
Maximum of only 1 inch outlining allowed with brocade material[ it is too thick, too bright]
The yoke fabric should have been in complimenting colour
The embroidery work and thread colours should have been bold not subtle for this pattern and colour.
The tunic now-

tunic with yoke motif

The motif pattern is simple and medium sized.
At this stage I had not bought the peach brocade fabric, so that was not taken into account while choosing the thread colours. The colours were chosen based on the maroon tunic fabric. I thought green would go well with maroon and beige.

brown yoke-WIP2

I tried a something new with stem and leaves, the stem was worked in fly stitch in dark green and the leaves were worked in leaf stitch in light green, this can be used as a decorative seam.
One tunic design idea that strikes me now is, It’ll b great if a whole tunic front is covered with motifs of this size. But tracing and positioning the motifs would be a laborious job.
Will continue with embroidery on yoke on my next post.

The idea for this tunic came when I had a design block. This experience taught me a lesson never to attempt anything while having a block.
The yoke did not suit the tunic.
The embroidery pattern did not suit anything.
The tunic design was really bad.
Now Iam in procession of a tunic which is like some tribal dress.
I’ ll post a small picture of it , so that no one gets disappointed!

brown yoke- tunic

 

 The tunic fabric is printed voile . I used to different prints of the same colour. 

 But using of  the brocade fabric  bombed the whole thing!

The embroidery-
I wanted to three motifs together on a yoke.
The pattern chosen was traditional Indian design.It was a good motif though,It didn’t suit the dress!
The stitches were-herringbone, back stitch, chain, satin, leaf stitch, fly stitch.
It started like this-

brown yoke-WIP1

I’ll post the progress of this embroidery from now on. Even though the result was disappointing, the embroidery pattern was okay. The different aspects in the embroidery can be used.

« Previous PageNext Page »