May 2016


We went to Dubai for the weekend. The computer was not in touching range. The idea of working on the chart while driving back was dropped before we left Muscat. This chart was worked yesterday. The chart is available on this site.

RPW2016-W20

RPW2016-W20

RPW2016
The weekly chart of part of alphabets was worked on Saturday.
TAST 2016
This week’s stitches eastern and beaded eastern stitches were worked on the earlier TAST challenge. The link to this blog was posted on facebook group.
Saree falls
Our sarees are 5.5 metres long. The side which meets the ground will endure lots of wear and tear. To minimize the damage, we attach a 5 inch strip with over 2.5 metres length along that edge. These are called saree falls, easily available in many colours in India.

WIPW87-Sfalls-1

WIPW87-Sfalls-1

These falls are attached to the saree with running stitch. This repetitive work is quite relaxing and meditative and I love doing it. These two sarees were safeguarded during this week.

WIPW87-sfalls-2

WIPW87-sfalls-2

Cream and black chanderi tunic
Chain stitch and herringbone stitches are worked in red fine silk thread.

WIPW87-crblchanderi-3

WIPW87-crblchanderi-3

Yellow red khadi tunic
I started with feather stitch creepers on this tunic. This is freely drawn design.

WIPW87-yelredkhadi-3

WIPW87-yelredkhadi-3

An embroidered piece was lying in a bag, because the original combination was not attractive anymore. A yellow handloom cotton fabric was chosen for this piece. The finished tunic.

brown green yelowtunci set

brown green yelowtunci set

This brown ikat fabric was there for quite some time. The weave gave an impression of yellow. This brought about an idea of working the embroidery in yellow.

brgryel-fabric

brgryel-fabric

Suddenly a green fabric popped into the picture and I started working the embroidery on it. The embroidery was mainly worked in herringbone stitch with a chain and buttonhole stitches thrown here and there.

brgryel-1

brgryel-1

Then slowly brown thread came into the picture.

brgryel-2

brgryel-2

Most of the herringbone shapes are now outlined in brown thread.

brgryel03

brgryel-3

After outlining the leaf shapes in green thread, variegated fine silk thread was used.

brgryel-4a

brgryel-4a

These details show clearly the places where variegated thread was used.

brgryel-4b

brgryel-4b

Continuing with gold metallic thread.

brgryel-5

brgryel-5

Gold beads and sequins were added in the last part of this embroidery.

brgryel-6

brgryel-6

The detail of the embroidery placed on the brown ikat fabric.

brgryel-7

brgryel-7

I realize that the green fabric is overpowering. A slight shift had to be done, so a yellow cotton fabric was bought. This combo was given to the tailor and it came back like this.

brown green yelowtunci set

brown green yelowtunci set

The yellow tunic.

brown green yellow tunic

brown green yellow tunic

Now for the detail. The embroidery and the sleeves have brown ikat fabric on them.

brown green yellow tunic detail

brown green yellow tunic detail

The embroidery pattern.

brgryel-pattern

brgryel-pattern

This project taught me to be cautious before bringing in another colour [this case, green]. And if the deed is already done, start looking for ways to improvise, this case plain yellow fabric.

After completing the last set of alphabets, we have another new one on this week’s chart on RPW2016 challenge. The chart is on this site.

RPW2016-W19

RPW2016-W19

RPW2016

On earlier post I was happy that some progress has been made on my projects. The working on the projects resumed after two weeks gap. The Randje per week 2016 challenge is  on time now.

WIPW86-RPW2016-till 18th week

WIPW86-RPW2016-till 18th week

TAST 2016

The stitches of the past weeks have been worked before. SharonB is asking for the opinion of break after 50 stitches. Since I am not working on the current stitches, the aspect of break is not an issue. On my part I would like to learn more than the 140 stitches worked on the earlier challenge.

Kutch and mirror work on blue tunic with yellow orange patiala

After catching up on the RPW2016 challenge, this project was given full attention and was completed. it is yet to go to the tailor. The embroidery details of this project will be posted after that.

WIPW86-blyelorapatiala-2

WIPW86-blyelorapatiala-2

Cream and black chanderi tunic

This project started with chain stitch worked in metallic thread.

WIPW86-crblchanderi-2

WIPW86-crblchanderi-2

Yellow red khadi tunic

This tunic fabric was given to the tailor for sewing before I left for India. It came back like this. Ha has done a good job. The space below the neck needs embroidery. This will be the next project after the work on cream and black chanderi tunic.

WIPW86-yeredkhadi-2

WIPW86-yeredkhadi-2

I  gave a break for the past few weeks on this challenge. Events have a way of getting into routine. These two weeks I have been catching up. The chart for these samples are here.

RPW2016-W14

RPW2016-W14

This was the first Saturday after my mother’s death.

RPW2016-W15

RPW2016-W15

I was still in India participating in the 13 days rituals during this Saturday.

RPW2016-W16

RPW2016-W16

I was back in Muscat, started catching up on the previous weeks charts. There was no new chart on Saturday morning, it was posted later in the day. This chart was worked on Sunday.

RPW2016-W17

RPW2016-W17

This chart was worked on the day it was posted. It was hard to come to the computer and write the details

RPW2016-W18

RPW2016-W18

I think I am ready to be back to my routine now. This was worked yesterday.

The sampler after working the 18th week chart.

RPW2016-Till 18th week

RPW2016-Till 18th week

« Previous Page