This brown ikat fabric was there for quite some time. The weave gave an impression of yellow. This brought about an idea of working the embroidery in yellow.
Suddenly a green fabric popped into the picture and I started working the embroidery on it. The embroidery was mainly worked in herringbone stitch with a chain and buttonhole stitches thrown here and there.
Then slowly brown thread came into the picture.
Most of the herringbone shapes are now outlined in brown thread.
After outlining the leaf shapes in green thread, variegated fine silk thread was used.
These details show clearly the places where variegated thread was used.
Continuing with gold metallic thread.
Gold beads and sequins were added in the last part of this embroidery.
The detail of the embroidery placed on the brown ikat fabric.
I realize that the green fabric is overpowering. A slight shift had to be done, so a yellow cotton fabric was bought. This combo was given to the tailor and it came back like this.
The yellow tunic.
Now for the detail. The embroidery and the sleeves have brown ikat fabric on them.
The embroidery pattern.
This project taught me to be cautious before bringing in another colour [this case, green]. And if the deed is already done, start looking for ways to improvise, this case plain yellow fabric.